In addition to the services that ISME provides to its members, the Association continually raises a range of issues pertaining to competitive business in the national media and with Government representatives. Listed below are just some of the issues on which ISME is currently campaigning for:
Cost of Living
- Reducing the cost of living; ISME through its representation on various boards, advisory groups and governmental forums is lobbying Government to reduce state influenced costs in areas including education, health, transport and insurance to offset the demands for higher pay.
- Ending the tax discrimination suffered by the self-employed.
- Further improvements to the Employment Investment Incentive Scheme and the Start-up Relief for Entrepreneurs scheme.
- Improve Ireland’s cost competitiveness and oppose any increases in costs related to sick pay, pension costs, wage increases and mandatory PRSI increases.
- ISME has been lobbying all public representatives on the issue of local authority commercial rates. We’re currently lobbying for the introduction of a more fairer and equitable rates revaluation system; one which is based on size and profitability of a business.
Spending on Infrastructure:
- The state needs to prioritise the National Broadband plan, the completion of the M20 between Cork and Limerick, the rapid provision of affordable housing, and improved public transport. We ware lobbying government to target infrastructure at 4% of GNI.
Public Sector Reform:
- Improve efficiencies and fairness within the public sector to increase value for money.
The need for an Act on Perjury:
- ISME is lobbying government and relevant governmental departments on the need to introduce a Perjury Act to reduce the number of blatantly false and exaggerated claims before the Injuries Board and the courts. Such an issue will act as a vital componentin the fight against white-collar crime in general; and for lower insurance costs in particular