Learning & Development
Business Writing Skills
This course has been designed to equip learners with the skills needed to get their written message across clearly by:
• Writing documents that are clear and concise
• Identifying and avoiding the most common business writing mistakes
• Using plain English so readers can easily understand their message
• Avoiding producing wordy, bureaucratic or jargon-ridden documents
• Appreciating the importance of proof-reading all written communications
Topic 1: Professional and Appropriate Writing Style
• Writing for your audience
• Determining the appropriate level of detail
• Writing tips – plain English rules; effective lists; active voice; being concise
• Common pitfalls – jargon; long-winded expressions; bad grammar; redundant words
Topic 2: Document Structure
• Benefits of establishing style guides and document templates
• Layout guidelines- structure; differentiation; downward flow; whitespace; focal point
• Structuring your document to look readable
• Designing documents for visual appeal – using bullet points; numbered lists; paragraphs; graphics
Topic 3: Proof Reading and Editing
• Proof-read for Accuracy; Impression; Message; Appearance; Removing dead wood and waffle
• Proof-reading strategies
Our slide presentations contain a mixture of text, graphics, videos and photography to keep our presentations fresh.
Group Discussion is encouraged throughout the session to allow learners to share their experiences on similar issues.
Includes Case Studies, Role Plays, and Learning Games etc. As much as possible we try to make all exercises relevant.
This course is suitable for anyone who writes reports, technical documents, or compliance documents on a regular basis including HR staff, sales teams, technical staff and business writers.
Dates and Venues
- 20th September 2018. 9:30am – 5:00pm. Dublin. (Venue to be confirmed.)
One day course: €230 ISME Members, €325 Non Members
Members please log in to avail of your discount